For a list of events related to biblical scholarship, see our online calendar.
View the Calendar >>
To foster biblical scholarship, the Society of Biblical Literature has collaborated with many organizations and individuals to develop fonts for biblical scholars. The SBL is currently developing a new series of high-quality fonts for digital and print use. Hebrew was the first in the series to be released. SBL is pleased to introduce the SBL Greek font, now available for download.
SBL Hebrew Font
The SBL fonts are designed for use in Unicode text environments using OpenType Layout, such as Microsoft Windows 2000, XP and Vista, and specific applications under Mac OS and Linux.
SBL has an FAQ page
that addresses some common font difficulties. If you cannot find an answer there you can either post a question on the forum or e-mail font support
. While we welcome your questions, please consult the FAQ before emailing.
John Hudson of Tiro Typeworks is the font designer and developer.
Commercial uses of SBL Fonts
SBL fonts are made available without cost to individual scholars for non-profit use. Please see the SBL Font User Agreement
. Commercial use requires the purchase of a license or membership in the SBL Font Foundation. Please download this form
for information on obtaining a license to use the SBL Fonts for commercial purposes.
SBL Font Foundation
The SBL Fonts are available thanks in part to the generosity of the members of the SBL Font Foundation. To become a member, please contact SBL Fonts
. Current members of the SBL Font Foundation include
- American Bible Society, www.americanbible.org
- American Schools of Oriental Research, www.asor.org
- Baker Academic, www.bakeracademic.com
- Baylor University Press, www.baylorpress.com
- BibleWorks, www.bibleworks.com
- Brill Academic Publishers, www.brill.nl
- Concordia Publishing House, www.cph.org
- German Bible Society, www.dbg.de
- Logos Bible Software, www.logos.com
- Society of Biblical Literature, http://www.sbl-site.org/
- United Methodist Publishing House, www.umpublishing.com
- Westminster John Knox, www.wjkbooks.com
The legacy SP Fonts, developed by James R. Adair, are also available. Installation instructions and keyboard layouts are available in the readme files. Please note, these fonts are not part of the SBL Font series and are not Unicode compliant.