For a list of events related to biblical scholarship, see our online calendar.
View the Calendar >>
<< Return to SBL Forum Archive
The Dead Sea Scrolls
|NEW FROM SBL PUBLICATIONS:
The Dead Sea Scrolls
Inspired by a fascinating exhibit supported by the Israel Antiquities Authority and the Dead Sea Scrolls Foundation and appearing at museums throughout the United States, this book provides readers with a full historical and photographic account of the Dead Sea Scrolls, from their initial discovery in 1947 to their recent publication and ongoing interpretation. Within the pages of this full-color volume, which includes over 90 photos, readers will learn not only how the Dead Sea Scrolls were found but also why many scholars believe that other scrolls still await discovery. In addition to becoming acquainted with the Scrolls and the ancient group who originally wrote them, readers will find out why the Dead Sea Scrolls continue to be significant for the Jewish and Christian religions today. Each of the book's chapters, which first appeared in Biblical Archaeology Review or Bible Review, has been written by a recognized expert on the Dead Sea Scrolls, including:
- Harry Thomas Frank, "How the Dead Sea Scrolls Were Found"
- Baruch Safrai, "More Scrolls Lie Buried! Recollections from Years Gone By"
- Frank Moore Cross, "The Dead Sea Scrolls and the People Who Wrote Them"
- Emanuel Tov, "Publishing the Scrolls: Reflections on Thirty Years of Scholarly Work"
- Sidnie White Crawford, "The Fluid Bible: The Blurry Line between Biblical and Nonbiblical Texts"
- James C. VanderKam,"The Scrolls and Early Christianity: How They Are Related and What They Share"
- Lawrence H. Schiffman, "Significance of the Scrolls: A New Perspective on the Texts from the Qumran Caves"
This colorful and informative volume is priced at only $9.95, so plan to buy several copies; they will make wonderful gifts. For a preview of The Dead Sea Scrolls: click here.
To order, call 877-725-3334 (toll free in North America), 802-864-6185 (outside North America), or go to the SBL Store
Society of Biblical Literature — P.O. Box 2243 — Williston, VT 05495-2243 USA
Phone: 877-725-3334 (North America); 802-864-6185 (elsewhere) — Fax: 802-864-7626.
Comments on this article? email: email@example.com
Let us know if you would like your comments sent to the author or considered for publication as a letter to the editor. Please include your full name and, if you would like, your affiliation.